Gwadar is a port city on the southwestern coast of Balochistan, Pakistan. The city is located on the shores of the Arabian Sea, approximately 700 kilometres to the west of Pakistan’s largest city, Karachi. Gwadar is near the border with Iran, and is located to the east of the Persian Gulf and opposite Oman.
Gwadar and its surrounding region were overseas possessions of the Sultanate of Muscat and Oman from 1783 until Pakistan purchased the territory September 8, 1958. Pakistan assumed control of the territory on December 8, 1958, and the territory was later integrated into Balochistan province on July 1, 1977, as Gwadar District.
The word “Gwadar” is a combination of two Balochi words – Gwat meaning wind and Dar meaning Gateway, thus Gwadar means “The Gateway of wind”. A different theory is that the name is derived from the ancient name of Baluchistan, Gedrosia, which was given by the Greeks to the arid area of southern Baluchistan.